Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Instagram Behind the Scenes (& Separating Personal from Work)


Some of you who follow me on my various social media pages may have noticed I have separate accounts for AGOM and for my personal pages.

For AGOM, I have:

Facebook
Twitter
Google+
and my blog of course.

I also have DeviantArt, which has a little bit of a personal feel, as does my blog, but still primarily focuses on my AGOM art.

For personal social media pages, I have:

Twitter
Youtube
Pinterest
Google+ (mainly only because youtube forces me to have one...)


Why seperate them? Well, someone who's interested in my art may not be interested in my bearded dragon or my learning Japanese. In the same way, someone may be interested in my silly ramblings, but not in my art and marketing articles ("What?! No way!").

If you have a business, or even if you freelance, I recommend having separate accounts if you want to post about matters regarding every day life. It's best not to get too much of your personal life involved in your work, it can make you seem unprofessional and potentially cause you to lose clients. HOWEVER, you also shouldn't use your work account to just advertise all the time and sound like a drone. People want to follow people, not an advertisement billboard. There's a balance needed in using your own voice but in a professional manor. If you enjoy making people laugh, use your humor, just try to leave out jokes that can be considered unrelated or inappropriate (save those for personal accounts).



Now, what does this all have to do with Instagram? Well Instagram is a very unique social media platform. For one, it is, for the most part, limited to only mobile users (this can be a pain if you want to post professional pictures). For this reason, it makes it a bit difficult for businesses to have a "professional" account. This also makes it very, well, mobile, allowing you to take a picture or video of just about anything, anywhere, and instantly post it to your followers, even to other connected social media accounts. It is also limited to just pictures and videos, instead of statuses. Therefore the picture/video should be the story itself. And this sets it up as a perfect outlet to share "behind the scenes" content. Artists of all types end up using this platform to share photos of stage setups for their gigs, a look into the studio, and the work in progress that's going into their next masterpiece, as well as small glimpses into their personal lives.


It is the unique social media platform that actually makes it more appropriate to mix work and play. And with that being said, I too decided to join the world of Instagram. Currently, it's mainly only featuring past finished work and food (because what's Instagram without some pictures of food?), but upcoming will be many posts on behind the scene looks into photoshoots and in progress pieces. So if you wanted a page that featured my artwork, some fun views into my everyday life, and some sneak peaks to upcoming work, I hope you're on Instagram!

You can find my Instagram page at: http://instagram.com/shortstufftiff/
Hope to see you there. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment